Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[CALL TO ORDER]

[00:00:03]

>> WE CALL THE MEETING TO ORDER.

[PUBLIC COMMENTS There will be no votes or any formal actions taken on subjects presented during public comment. The public comment period will only allow members of the public to present ideas and infonDation to ciw officials and staff.]

WE WILL OPEN THE MEETING WITH THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD.

NO VOTES OR FORMAL ACTION TAKEN ON ACTIONS DURING PUBLIC COMMENT.

IT WILL ALLOW MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO PRESENT IDEAS AND INFORMATION TO CITY OF OFFICIALS AND STAFF.

IS THERE ANYONE HERE TO SPEAK DURING THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD? IT LOOKS LIKE WE DO.

PLEASE COME FORWARD.

>> YES, WERE GETTING THERE.

THIS IS A PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD PRIOR TO, THIS IS NOT THE CASE IS YET.

SEE NONE -- COME FORWARD, SIR.

>> I JUST MOVED BACK TO TOWN FROM THE HOUSTON AREA.

ABOUT A PROPERTY NEXT-DOOR TO THE PROPERTY THAT HAVE CONCERNS ON TODAY'S AGENDA.

>> IT HAS TO DO WITH TODAY'S AGENDA ITEM WE'LL GET TO PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD DURING CONSIDERATION SUE MIKE I THOUGHT THAT IS NOW.

>> KNOW, THAT IS NOT NOW.

>> I WILL HOLD IT.

>> I THINK EVERYONE I THINK WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PUBLIC COMMENTS OF GENERAL NATURE SO WE WILL THE AGENDA.

[1. Minutes: Receive a Report, Hold a Discussion and Public Hearing, and Take Action on Approving the Minutes from the ReguLar Meeting Held on November 10, 2020]

THE FIRST ITEM OF BUSINESSES APPROVAL APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

>> I WILL MAKE A MOTION TO APPROVE THE REGULAR MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 10, 2020 MEETING.

>> I SECOND THAT.

>> ALL THOSE IN FAVOR SAY, AYE.

>> AYE.

>> I AM ABSTAINING SINCE I WAS NOT AT THE MEETING, LAST MEETING.

I DON'T BELIEVE WE HAVE ANY ITEMS ON THE TABLE FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING.

SO WE'LL GET INTO THE REGULAR MEETING.

[2. BA-2020-03: Receive a Report and Hold a Discussion and Public Hearing on a request from owner Yi-Chien Lien, agent Lamar Outdoor, to seek a Special Exception to allow an otT-site advertising billboard within Agricultural Open Space (AO) Zoning. Legal description being 12.94 Acres out ofC. A. Donavan original survey in the City ofAbilene, Taylor County, Texas]

THE BOARD OF AGENDA HAS FIVE MEMBERS FOR WHICH MUST BE REQUIRED, FOR FAVORABLE VOTES ARE REQUIRED TO APPROVE ANY CONSIDERATION.

IF A SPECIAL VARIANCE IS GRANTED THEY HAVE 180 DAYS TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT IF ONE IS REQUIRED.

A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME WILL BE CONSIDERED BY THE SPORT IF REQUESTED BY THE APPLICANT AT THIS HEARING.

THE BUILDING PERMIT MAY BE APPLIED THE DAY THEIR CREST IS APPROVED AFTER THE MEETING IS ADJOURNED.

IF THE REQUEST IS DENIED IT MAY NOT BE RECONSIDERED BY THE BOARD UNTIL 12 MONTHS FROM THE STAY.

APPEALS FROM THE DECISION MAY BE MADE TO A COURT OF RECORD NOW, IF YOU'RE GOING TO COME FORWARD AND SPEAK DURING A CASE THIS MORNING, I NEED TO SWEAR YOU WIN.

SO, IF YOU WOULD COME ANYBODY WHO IS GOING TO COME FORWARD TO THE PODIUM, PLEASE RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND.

DO YOU SWEAR TO TELL THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH? THANK YOU.

NEW BUSINESS, THE FIRST ITEM IS THE ITEM THAT BASICS, RECEIVE A REPORT HOLD A DISCUSSION A PUBLIC HEARING ON A REQUEST FROM THE OWNER YI-CHIEN LIEN, OWNER OF LAMAR OUTDOOR, TO SEEK A SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO ALLOW AN OFF-SITE ADVERTISING BILLBOARD WITHIN AGRICULTURAL OPEN SPACE AO ZONING, LEGAL DESCRIPTION BEING 12.94 ACRES OUT OF C.A.

DONAVAN ORIGINAL SURVEY OF THE CITY OF ABILENE, TAYLOR COUNTY, TEXAS.

>> GOOD MORNING, I'M GERRIT SMITH, WITH THE PLANNING DEVELOPMENT SERVICES OFFICE.

TODAY I'M PRESENTING BA-2020-03.

ON THE PROPERTY OF IT YI-CHIEN LIEN, AGENT IS LAMAR OUTDOOR, THEIR CREST IS A SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO HAVE AN OFF-SITE BILLBOARD WITH OPEN ZONING.

THE REQUEST IS 6325 FAIRWAY OAKS BOULEVARD.

CITY STAFF SENT IN A NOTIFICATION TO ALL PROPERTY OWNERS WITHIN A 250-FOOT RADIUS INFORMING THEM OF THE REQUEST.

WE RECEIVED ZERO RESPONSES IN FAVOR AND 11 IN OPPOSITION.

HERE'S OUR LOCATION MAP SHOWING AN AERIAL IMAGE FROM THE SUBJECT PROPERTY.

AS YOU CAN SEE WE ARE NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF THE ANTILLEY ROAD AND FAIRWAY OAKS BOULEVARD.

JUST SOUTH OF THE EXISTING OFFICES WHICH ARE LOCATED WEST OF FAIRWAY OAKS BOULEVARD.

CURRENT ZONING MAP SHOWING THE SUBJECT PROPERTY IS CURRENTLY ZONED AGRICULTURAL OPEN.

IT IS CUSTOMARY FOR US TO ZONE PROPERTIES AO WHEN WE FIRST ANNEXED THEM INTO THE CITY LIMITS OF ABILENE UNTIL AN APPROPRIATE ZONING CLASSIFICATION IS DETERMINED.

IN DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT AN OFF-SITE ADVERTISING SIGN IS SUITABLE, WE SHOULD ALWAYS CONSIDER ACCORDING TO LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE ITS PROXIMITY TO EXISTING RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES.

FURTHERMORE, IT IS A GOOD PRACTICE TO DETERMINE OR THINK ABOUT WHAT WOULD BE AN

[00:05:04]

APPROPRIATE ZONING CLASSIFICATION IF THIS EVER WAS TO BE REZONED.

IT IS HIS CITY STAFF SO UNDERSTANDING AND WE BELIEVE THAT IF THIS EVER WAS TO BE REZONED THAT DUE TO THE CLOSE PROXIMITY TO RESIDENCES IT IS UNLIKELY THAT WE WOULD EVER REZONE IT TO SOMETHING THAT WOULD PERMIT AN OFF-SITE ADVERTISING SIGNED BY RIGHT.

I ZONING CLASSIFICATIONS SUCH AS A GC, GR, HEAVY COMMERCIAL, LIGHT INDUSTRIAL, HEAVY INDUSTRIAL, NONE OF THOSE WE FEEL WOULD BE APPROPRIATE DUE TO THE RESIDENTIAL NATURE OF THIS AREA.

IT WOULD MOST LIKELY BE A NEIGHBORHOOD RETAIL, NEIGHBORHOOD OFFICE OR OFFICE ZONING MUCH LESS INTENSE COMMERCIAL USES THERE.

A FEW PHOTOGRAPHS, CONCEPTUAL PHOTOS WHICH SHOULD SHOW THE PLACEMENT OF THE SOFT SIDE I'VE ADVERTISING SIGN AND WHAT IT MAY LOOK LIKE ONCE IT IS ERECTED.

A FEW PHOTOS OF THE SUBJECT PROPERTY AS WELL AS THE NEIGHBORING PROPERTIES, THE TOP PHOTOS ARE LOOKING EAST AND WEST ON ANTILLEY ROAD, THE LEFT-HAND SIDE SHOWING OFFICES WHICH ARE NORTH OF THIS PROPERTY IN THE RIGHT-HAND PHOTO SHOWING THE ENTRANCE TO FAIRWAY OAKS WHICH IS A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD HERE IN ANTILLEY.

OUR NOTIFICATION MAP AS STATED EARLIER, CITY STAFF DID SEND A NOTIFICATION LETTER STYLE PROPERTY OWNERS WHICH FALL WITHIN A 200-FOOT BUFFER YOU SEE ON THE MAT.

WE RECEIVED 11 RESPONSES ON OPPOSITION.

THIS DOES NEED TO BE UPDATED, IT SHOWS TEN.

NOT ALL OF THOSE FELL WITHIN THE BUFFER AREA.

SOME OF THOSE CAME FROM RESIDENCES ACTUALLY AND FAIRWAY OAKS SUBDIVISION.

IT APPEARS THAT ONLY SIX OF THEM ACTUALLY WERE WITHIN THIS BUFFER AREA.

THIS REQUEST WAS THAT REVIEW PURSUANT TO SECTION 1441 OF THE LAND DEVELOP A CODE WHICH IS A CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL FOR SPECIAL EXCEPTIONS.

STAFF DOES RECOMMEND DENIAL DUE TO THE UNLIKELY NATURE OR UNLIKELIHOOD THE PROPERTY EVER BE AND REZONED IT TO AN APPROPRIATE ZONING CLASSIFICATION THAT WOULD PERMIT OFF-SITE ADVERTISING.

AGAIN, IT IS PREDOMINANTLY A RESIDENTIAL AREA.

WE PROBABLY WOULD NOT EVER RECOMMEND A ZONING CLASSIFICATION.

COMMERCIAL ZONING CLASSIFICATION THAT WOULD PERMIT OFF-SITE ADVERTISING AT THIS LOCATION.

I'M HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE AT THIS TIME.

>> ANY QUESTIONS?

>> DID THE APPLICANT TO INDICATE THE SIGN WOULD BE LOCATED?

>> AGAIN, THEY PROVIDED THE CONCEPTUAL PLAN THAT KIND OF SHOWS IT ABOUT MID BLOCK.

IF YOU LOOK AT THESE IMAGES IT SHOWS WHERE IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE.

IT IS JUST SOUTH OF THE EXISTING OFFICE BUILDINGS THAT ARE THERE.

THERE IS A SMALLER AND SET ON BOTH OF THOSE IMAGES THAT HAVE A LITTLE BITTY DOT ON IT THAT SHOWS THE ACTUAL PLACEMENT OF WHERE IT WOULD BE LOCATED.

IT'S WORTH NOTING THAT THIS PROPOSED LOCATION DOES MEET OUR SEPARATION REQUIREMENTS FROM RESIDENTIAL LOTS WHICH IS 135 FEET.

>> ON THIS ZONING REQUEST, IF THIS PROPERTY WERE TO BE REZONED, WITH THE SIGN BE GRANDFATHERED IN IF IT WERE APPROVED?

>> THAT IS MY UNDERSTANDING, YES, SIR.

>> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

>> I HAVE ONE.

WHAT ZONING IS TYPICAL FOR THE PLACEMENT OF BILLBOARDS? I KNOW THE PROPERTY, MY NOSE HAD A PRETTY HEAVY FLIMFLAM ROLLING THROUGH IT.

OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT GOING TO BE ANYTHING THAT WAS COMMERCIAL.

>> SO, AS I SAID PREVIOUSLY THE ONLY ZONING UP APPROPRIATE LOCATIONS WE ADD WE ALLOW IT IN HIS GENERAL RETAIL, HEAVY COMMERCIAL, LIGHT INDUSTRIAL AND HEAVY INDUSTRIAL.

AND AGAIN, CITY STAFF WOULD NOT BE IN A POSITION TO RECOMMEND APPROVAL FOR ANY OF THOSE ZONING CHANGES IF THEY WERE TO COME FORWARD.

WE WOULD PROBABLY WANTED TO BE MORE LIKE NEIGHBORHOOD OFFICER NEIGHBORHOOD RETAIL OR PERHAPS JUST OFFICE BECAUSE IT IS MUCH LESS INTENSE COMMERCIAL USES.

>> THANK YOU.

>> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

>> THANK YOU, SIR.

I APPRECIATE THE STAFF PRESENTATION.

AT THIS POINT WE WILL OPEN THE PUBLIC HEARING.

WOULD THE PROPONENT PLEASE COMFORT TO THE MICROPHONE AND STATE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS.

>> GOOD MORNING, MY NAME IS TOMMY ROBERTS ON THE GENERAL MANAGER AND VICE PRESIDENT

[00:10:01]

OF LAMAR ADVERTISING.

I LIVE IN 3918 KAREN DRIVE IN ABILENE.

SO, WE HAVE IDENTIFIED THIS LOCATION AND I WILL TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE NEED.

THE SO, WE OPERATE PROBABLY APPROXIMATELY 180 BILLBOARDS IN ABILENE.

90% OF OUR REVENUES GENERATED BY ADVERTISERS.

OUTDOOR ADVERTISING THE LAST TWO YEARS HAS BEEN THE SECOND FASTEST GROWING ADVERTISING MEDIA COMPARED TO THE FASTEST BE AN ONLINE, BILLBOARDS BEEN SECOND.

IF YOU'RE TRYING TO ADVERTISE TO YOUR LOCAL AUDIENCE IN ABILENE YOU DON'T NECESSARILY DO IT BY TV, OR RADIO, YOU'RE TRYING TO FOCUS IN ON JUST YOUR LOCAL ADVERTISER.

BILLBOARDS HAVE DONE WELL WITH FOLKS.

IN SO, AND INTERESTING ENOUGH, OF THE 180 BILLBOARDS THAT WE HAVE, SOUTH OF SAM'S, WE HAVE FOR BILLBOARDS.

AS STATED IN THE PRESENTATION TO THE COMMITTEE WHEN HIS BILLBOARD WAS APPROVED IN SEPTEMBER THERE'S A 30000 ABILENE MEANS LIVE SOUTH OF THE CITY LIMITS.

WE KNOW WHERE THE GROWTH IS HAPPENING IN ABILENE.

WE HAVE AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF DEMAND FOR THIS AREA FOR BILLBOARD SIGNS.

THAT IS WHY WE ARE SEEKING APPROVAL.

BETWEEN -- AND BUFFALO GAP THIS IS REALLY THE ONLY CONFORMING LOCATION THAT IS LEFT.

FIRE FAVOR IN A TENTHS OF A MILE FROM THIS LOCATION.

IN SO, BUFFALO GAP WERE NOT ABLE TO BUILD ON BUFFALO GAP.

-- IS NOT ALLOWABLE FOR NEW BILLBOARD SIGNAGE.

IT REALLY LEAVES US WITH ANTILLEY IF WE WANT TO MOVE SOUTH.

AND OF COURSE I'M IN FAVOR OF THIS.

I WAS IN FAVOR THAT STAFF TONIGHT AT CONSIDERING HOW IN FAVOR THEY WERE OF THE BILLBOARD THE DIGITAL BILLBOARD FOR .

I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS RESIDENTIAL USES IN THIS AREA AND YOU WANTED TO SEE EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS.

I DO HAVE -- LISTEN REALLY SCANNED VERY WELL SO LET ME GIVE YOU A HANDOUT.

>> I'M SORRY.

I WROTE DIFFERENT HANDOUTS.

THIS IS THE ONE SO, THE EXACT LOCATION OF THIS BILLBOARD IF YOU LOOK TO THE NORTH, THIS WOULD BE NORTH ON MY LEFT.

YOU HAVE THE DERMATOLOGY CENTER IN THE SLEEP CENTER.

AND SO WHERE WE ARE PLACING THE BILLBOARD, WHERE THE TWO PROPERTY LINES ME WE ARE GOING DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET SO THAT THE BILLBOARD IS NOT IN FRONT OF EITHER ONE OF THOSE BUSINESSES.

AND IN ADDITION, IT WAS THE LANDOWNERS DESIRED TO BE AS CLOSE TO THE FLOODWAY AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE IT'S UNDEVELOPED.

IN SO, THIS BILLBOARD WILL HELP OFFSET THE COST OF MAINTAINING MOWING IT, KEEPING IT UP-TO-DATE, AND IS A VERY SMALL PORTION IT IS BILLABLE WHICH WILL SPEAK TO MOMENTARILY.

IN SO, WHEN THEY REALIZE THAT STAFF HAS SAID THAT IF YOU LOOK AT ALL THE RESIDENCES AROUND THIS AREA FIRST OF ALL I'M IN A BACK UP A LITTLE BIT.

SO WHEN HE SAID WHAT ZONING CLASSIFICATIONS WILL ALLOW FOR BILLBOARDS HE MENTIONED EVERYTHING ABOUT AO.

AO IS THE ORDINANCE AS A ZONING CLASSIFICATION THAT ALLOWS FOR BILLBOARDS.

NOW TO GO BACK, THE REASON WHY THERE'S A SPECIAL EXCEPTION IN THE AO IS BECAUSE AO ZONING IS THE ONLY ZONING THAT WE CAN BE APPROVED FOR THAT ALLOWS FOR A RESIDENCE.

IT IS BASICALLY A FARMHOUSE.

SO, WHAT THEY WANT TO BE SURE ABOUT THE TIMING, IF I HAVE AN AO PIECE OF PROPERTY OR MY NEIGHBOR HAS AN AO PIECE OF PROPERTY IS OF FARMHOUSE THAT I DON'T WANT TO BILLBOARD SETBACK BY HIS HOUSE.

IT'S NOT SO MUCH I MEAN I UNDERSTAND THE INTENT AND WHAT I WOULD SAY IS ALL OF THIS RESIDENTIAL AROUND THIS AREA, ONE, THE CLOSEST RESIDENTIAL TO US IS OVER 300 FEET AWAY.

THE CLOSEST RS DISTRICT TO THE WEST IS 1400 FEET AWAY.

EVERYTHING AROUND THIS AREA ZONED PD OR PATIO HOMES.

NOW IN THE SIGN LIMITS WE ONLY HAVE TO MAINTAIN 135-FOOT SETBACK FROM ANY RS DISTRICT, ANY MANUFACTURED HOUSING DISTRICT OR ANY MULTIFAMILY DISTRICT.

NOTHING FURTHER PD IF WE WANTED TO BUILD 10 FEET AWAY IT'S IN THE SIDELINES.

IF WE WANTED TO BUILD 10 FEET AWAY FROM PATIO HOMES WE CAN DO THAT IS ALLOWABLE.

[00:15:03]

SO, TO WHAT WOULD BE THE DIRECT USE WHICH SHOULD BE THE TOP OF THE PAGE WERE ABOUT 600 FEET AWAY FROM THOSE PATIO HOMES.

THE ONES TO THE NORTH THERE ABOUT 500 FEET AWAY INTO THE SOUTH INTO THE WEST ABOUT 300 FEET AWAY.

COINCIDENTALLY EVERYONE OF THESE RESIDENCES THEIR BACKYARDS BACK UP TO THIS BILLBOARD.

IF YOU GO OUT AND DRIVE AROUND THE HOUSES AND YOU LOOK AT ALL THE ONES THAT SEND IN NOTIFICATIONS, WHICH BY THE WAY IT'S ONLY FIVE PEOPLE EVEN THOUGH ONE GUY OWN FOR PROPERTIES ONE GUY OWN TO SO FIVE PEOPLE SENT IN NOTICES OF OPPOSITION.

YOU CAN GO TO EACH HOUSE AND YOU CANNOT SEE THE BILLBOARD.

IN THE HANDOUT I GAVE YOU SHOWS THAT.

EVERY ONE OF THE DENIAL OPPOSITION LETTERS THAT WE HAVE WE WENT TO THEIR BACKYARD THERE IS AN INDIVIDUAL THAT SAID YOU'RE TAKEN AWAY OR SUNSETS.

THERE'S TWO LAYERS OR TREES BETWEEN THAT INDIVIDUALS BACKYARD AND THE WEST, YOU CAN'T SEE IT FROM THEIR BACKYARD.

YOU DEFINITELY CAN SEE HER BILLBOARD.

SO, EVEN THOUGH WITH FUTURE LAND USE I KNOW IS LIGHTS RESIDENTIAL IN THIS AREA, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE ALL COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES IN THE CENTER ACROSS THE STREET I WENT BY THERE IT 730 THIS MORNING THEY HAVE MORE CARS ALMOST IN CHICK-FIL-A SOMETIMES.

THIS PRETTY HIGH INTENSITY.

THE SLEEP CENTER IS NOT AS BAD IN EVEN THE DRIVING RANGE TO THE NORTH OF THAT.

SO, THIS PROPERTY IS DESIGNATED IF YOU WORK AT LOOK AT THE CORNER OF FAIRWAY OAKS IS DESIGNATED AS COMMERCIAL PROPERTY.

I KNOW STAFF SAID THAT THEY CAN NEVER ENVISION THIS BEING ANYTHING OTHER THAN SOMETHING LATER INTENSITY.

THAT'S YET TO BE DETERMINED BECAUSE IS CURRENTLY BEING MARKETED AS COMMERCIAL AND IF IT IS OVER COMMERCIAL WE WOULD BE ABLE TO BUILD.

WE MEET ALL OF THE COMMISSION COMMUNICATIONS AS FAR AS SETBACK, WE DON'T FEEL LIKE WERE ENCROACHING ON ANYONE WITH PRIVACY OR WITH PEOPLE BEING ABLE TO VIEW THE SIGN IN SO, I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS THAT PEOPLE TYPICALLY TALK ABOUT IN THE BOARD OF ADJUSTMENTS MEETING WHENEVER WE COME UP AGAINST THEM AS THEY TALK ABOUT PROPERTY VALUES AND SAFETY.

SO REAL QUICKLY BEFORE I WRAP UP I JUST WANT TO LEAVE YOU WITH SOME -- ABOUT ALL OF THE THINGS THAT FIRST ABOUT ELIMINATION.

ALL THAT YOU TAKE A LOOK, REAL QUICKLY, WITH OUR DIGITAL BILLBOARD TECHNOLOGY AT NIGHT, THERE ARE SEVERAL AROUND TOWN IF YOU'RE DRIVING AROUND THE CITY, WE DAMN OUR DIGITALS DOWN TO 3.5% OF THEIR CAPACITY WHICH IS ABOUT 300 IN COMPARISON I WILL TELL YOU, THIS PHONE IS ABOUT 600.

SO, WERE NOT -- WITH THE OPERATING SCREENS WE BEEN OPERATING FOR A LONG TIME WERE REGULATED BY AN INDUSTRY.

THE LIGHT IS MINIMAL.

I WOULD SAY OUR DIGITAL BILLBOARD SIGNAGE IS PROBABLY DIMMER THAN THE STREETLIGHTS OUT THERE ON THAT ROAD.

NOW THE STATIC SITE IS GOING TO BE TOWARD THE WEST YOU TURN THE LIGHTS OFF AT 11:00 P.M.

IT'S LIMITED FROM DUSK UNTIL 11:00 P.M.

AND AT DUSK WE START DIMMING DOWN AND SO THE AMBIENT LIGHT IS NOT OFFPUTTING.

>> THIS SECONDHAND OUTCOME OF THIS IS A STUDY FROM ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO, SAFETY STUDY CONCERNING DIGITAL BILLBOARDS.

WHAT HAPPENED IN ALBUQUERQUE IS THAT THEY WERE ALLOWED TO BUILD DIGITALS.

THEY BUILT 17 DIGITALS ALL AT ONE TIME.

IN SO, WHAT THEY DID WAS A STUDY OVER A PERIOD OF SEVEN YEARS THAT TRACKS ACCIDENTS AT INTERSECTIONS WITH DIGITALS AND WHAT THEY FOUND ON THE VERY LAST PAGE IS THAT THERE IS A 3.3% DECREASE IN ACCIDENTS OVER SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD AFTER THE DIGITALS WERE BUILT.

IN SO, ALSO HAVE THAT I'LL GIVE TO THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY INSTITUTE HAS MULTIPLE PEER-REVIEWED STUDIES OUT THERE THAT DIGITAL BILLBOARDS ARE NOT HARMFUL TO TRAVELERS.

AND BASICALLY WHAT THEY FOUND IS WHEN PEOPLE LOOK AT BILLBOARDS THEY DON'T GIVE IT ANY MORE ATTENTION THAN WITH THE TASK IS AT HAND.

SO WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING, YOU DON'T EVER SIT THERE AND STARE TO BUILD BILLBOARD IN REAR END A GUY BECAUSE YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT I'M DOING.

UNTIL YOU NEED A PLUMBER TO COME FIX YOUR BROKEN SINK OR SOMETHING YOU'RE LIKE OH YEAH I SAW THAT BILLBOARD I'LL GIVE THOSE GUYS A CALL.

IN SO IN THIS AREA ONCE THE BILLBOARD IS BUILT THAT'S PROBABLY NO MORE OFFPUTTING THAN 100-FOOT SCREEN FOR A DRIVING.

IF THAT 100-FOOT SCREEN OR NETTING BEING BUILT TODAY, I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD

[00:20:04]

COME OUT IN OPPOSITION OF IT.

HOWEVER IT'S BEEN THERE SO LONG NOBODY EVEN NOTICE IT ANYMORE AND NOT DETRACTING FROM THE PROPERTY VALUE.

SAME THING WITH THE BILLBOARD.

THE EFFECT ON THE AREAS GOING TO BE NEGLIGIBLE.

YOU'RE GOING TO GO THAT WAY, THIS THIRD HANDOUT IS REALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT I FEEL.

WHAT THIS IS TYPICALLY WHAT I HEAR A LOT IS PROPERTY VALUES.

IF YOU ALLOW THIS BILLBOARD TO BE BUILT IS ACTUALLY IN A MEETING IN TYLER, TEXAS AND A GUY SAID IF YOU ALLOW THE BILLBOARD TO BE BUILDERS GOING TO BE CRIME, THERE'S CAN BE PROSTITUTION AND DRUGS IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

SO, AND KNOW THEIR FEELINGS TOWARDS BILLBOARDS CAN BE REALLY STRONG.

BUT WHAT THIS HANDOUT REPRESENTS IN SO, WE BUILT A DIGITAL BILLBOARD OF A SIMILAR SIZE, THIS AREA SOUTH 14 RIGHT ACROSS FROM HOBBY LOBBY, YOU PROBABLY KNOW THE AREA AT THE END OF 2015 WE BUILT A DIGITAL BILLBOARD THERE AND WHAT I DID AND I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS VERY RUDIMENTARY IS THAT I TOOK THE DISTANCES FROM THE DIGITAL BILLBOARD TO THE CLOSEST FOR RESIDENCES THEY WERE BETWEEN 40600 FEET AWAY.

THEN I WENT TO THE PROPERTY VALUE IN THOSE PERCENTAGE INCREASES ARE HOW MUCH THOSE PROPERTY VALUES INCREASED OVER THAT FIVE-YEAR PERIOD.

IN SO, THE DISTANCES FROM THE DIGITAL ARE SIMILAR TO WHAT THE DISTANCES ARE HERE FROM WHAT WERE DEALING WITH AND I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NOT WHAT IS JUST WHAT IT IS WITH THE PROPERTY VALUE.

AND WE OPERATE FIVE DIGITAL BILLBOARDS IN TOWN.

I CAN GO TO EACH DIGITAL BILLBOARD AND DO THE SAME THING AND SHOW YOUR PROPERTY VALUES HAVE NEVER INCREASED AND DEVELOPMENT HAS NEVER DECREASE.

SO RIGHT AT THIS LOCATION CROSS FITNESS CAME IN AND WE HANDED -- A STARBUCKS CAME IN, A SMOOTHIE KING CAME IN NEXT DOOR TO IT.

SO, AGAIN IT BECOMES PART OF THE SCENERY AND I THINK PEOPLES FEAR ABOUT CHANGE IS THE BETTER OF THEM SOMETIME BUT I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS EXACT EVIDENCE WOULD BILLBOARDS NOT DECREASING PROPERTY VALUES BUT ON A SMALL SCALE, THEY DID NOT GO DOWN.

AND THEY DON'T.

FIVE YEARS FROM NOW IF YOU ALLOW THIS BILLBOARD TO BE BUILT WILL GO BACK TO THE PROPERTY VALUES AND THEY WILL HAVE INCREASED OVER FIVE YEARS.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS; SEE ACTUAL DISTANCE FROM THE STREET?

>> AND STAFF REPORTED SAYS THERE IS A 17-FOOT SETBACK, THE SETBACK OCCURRED WAS 10 FEET BUT OUR SETBACK IS 38 FEET.

SO, WE HAVE TO BE FOR OWN SAFETY REGULATIONS WE HAVE TO BE 17 FEET AWAY FROM THAT POWER ROD.

THE SETBACK IS ALREADY SIGNIFICANT IN THE 17 FEET ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT.

>> AND LESSEE THE DISTANCE FROM THE GROUND TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SIGN IS WHAT?

>> THAT HEGEL IS APPROXIMATELY 23 FEET.

THE GROUND TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SIGN.

>> WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN SIZE BETWEEN A NORMAL STATIC BILLBOARD VERSUS DIGITAL?

>> TYPICALLY OUR BIGGEST SIGN THAT WE OPERATE IN ABILENE IS 14 BY 48 COME AT HUNDRED 72 SQUARE FEET AND THAT'S WHAT YOU TURN THE CLASS ONE ROADWAYS, HIGHER-SPEED ROADWAYS THE MAXIMUM SIZE LIMIT IS 378 SQUARE FEET THAT'S WHAT THE SIGN REPRESENTS IS THE SAME AS THE ONE IN FRESHMAN CREEK, IT'S A 10 FEET BY 36 FEET WIDE BILLBOARD.

SO, IS NOT THE LARGEST BILLBOARD TIME IS NOT THE SMALLEST COMMENTS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.

THERE IS A CHANCE THAT WE COULD BUILD IT SMALLER DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH CORPORATE OFFICE HAVE TO SPEND AFTER CORONA IN SO, THAT IS A POSSIBILITY BUT I WANTED TO REPRESENT WHAT IT COULD BE AT THE LARGEST SIZE IMPLEMENTATION OF IT IF THAT HELPS.

>> THANK YOU THE REQUEST IS 300 SQUARE FEET.

[00:31:59]

>> IT IS.

SO INITIALLY WE PUT OUR APPLICATION AND IN MARCH AND THEN COVID HIT.

IN SO, I TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID LAST MONTH AND THAT'S WHY WE HAD TO PUSH IT BACK AGAIN.

A LOT HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN.

THE GENTLEMAN THAT HAD MY LEASE MANAGER I HAD TO LAY HIM OFF IN SO, HE MADE THE APPLICATION AND I WASN'T AWARE IS FOR 300 SQUARE FEET HOWEVER IF IT IS APPROVED WE WOULD HONOR THAT.

WE WOULD PROBABLY PUT UP A 12 BY 25 AND KEEP IT AT 300 SQUARE-FOOT.

THE OTHER APPLICATION I WOULD SAY THAT WE COULD DO HERE'S THAT SO INSTEAD OF JUST BEING -- WE COULD PUT A ROCK FA├žADE AROUND THE COLUMN AND WE'VE DONE THAT IN OTHER MUNICIPALITIES TO MAKE IT AESTHETICALLY MORE APPEASING.

AND SO WE COULD ROCK THAT CALM AND MAKE IT SUPER NICE AND THAT SOMETHING WE COULD DO IN THIS AREA OF THE WANTED TO PUT A CONDITION ON IT, WE WOULD DO THAT.

>> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS? STUDENT JUST IN GENERAL, YOUR EXPERIENCE SOME OF THESE THE ILLUMINATED BUILDING BOARDS TO MERE DISTRACTION ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT, COULD YOU TALK TO THAT A LITTLE BIT.

I KNOW YOU TALKED ABOUT THE ILLUMINATION.

>> I CAN.

I THINK WHAT HAPPENS IS ROBERT THAT SO ON PREMISE DIGITAL IS DIFFERENT THAN ALL OF PREMISE DIGITAL SPREAD OF PRESENT DIGITALS ARE REGULATED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS AND IN THEIR ORDINANCES SAY ALL CHANGES HAVE TO BE INSTANTANEOUS AND WE CAN HAVE NO EMOTION WHATSOEVER.

IT HAS TO BE STATIC IMAGES NO SHORTER THAN EIGHT SECONDS.

HOWEVER ON PREMISE DIGITALS LIKE ON ASSIGNMENT OR LAKE JEFF ALBERTS BUT WHEN IT DOWN BY MY OFFICE, HE'S GOT A RED TWIRLING LIGHT ON HIS DIGITAL AND IT FLASHES AND IT DOES ALL THIS STUFF AND SO THEY DON'T DAMMIT.

I'LL TELL YOU ABOUT THERE'S ONE OVER THERE CLOSE TO CADILLAC STYLE THAT IS SO NON- PREMISE FOR TRYING TO THINK OF THE NAME, HIS DIGITAL WHEN I GO BY IS SO BRIGHT IT'S BLINDING.

AND SO, I FEEL LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO, WE GET A BAD RAP BECAUSE THEY SEE THESE ON PREMISE DIGITALS WITH THE MOTION AND BRIGHT LIGHTS AND WE GET ALL LUMPED IN TOGETHER.

SO, WHAT I CAN SAY IS THAT OUR DIGITALS, THEY HAVE NO MOTION, THEY CHANGE INSTANTANEOUSLY EVERY EIGHT SECONDS SO YOU CAN EVEN TELL THAT THEY CHANGE EXCEPT FOR THE CHANGE PATH SO HOPEFULLY I JUST KNOW THAT THEY'RE NOT AS OFFPUTTING IF THAT HELPS.

>> IT DOES.

YES ANY PLANS TO PUT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS UP OCCASIONALLY?

>> THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION.

WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW IT'S CALLED AN EMERGENCY EXCESS LOT AND WE PUT UP AMBER ALERTS ALL THE TIME, AND SO, THE STATE OF TEXAS CAN COME IN OFF AND INSTANTANEOUSLY DROP THAT INTO OUR SYSTEM.

THAT RUNS A LOT.

AND I WILL SAY THAT WE RUN A LOT OF PUBLIC SERVICES.

I KNOW WERE DOING THE MASK OF CAMPAIGN RIGHT NOW AND ARE DIGITALS FOR THE STATE OF TEXAS.

WE PARTNERED, WITH NEW HORIZONS IS ONE, THEY DON'T NECESSARY HAVE DIGITALS BUT WE DONATE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO PUBLIC SERVICE IN THE COMMUNITY EVERY YEAR.

WE DONATE BILLBOARDS TO MEALS ON WHEELS FOR THEIR -- INTO WEST TEXAS REHAB, TONS OF BILLBOARDS.

IN SO, WE GIVE A LOT TO THE PUBLIC SERVICES AND THAT SOMETHING THAT WE DO AT NO COST.

>> THANK YOU.

>> ONE QUESTION IN MY APOLOGIES I'M ASKING YOU TO REPEAT.

IN THE SETBACK, YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OF SETBACK.

WHAT WOULD BE THE PROPOSED? WHAT WOULD BE THE SETBACK FROM HER.

I GUESS THE QUESTION IS ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE CENTER POST OF THAT SIGN? OR IS THE EDGE INSTALLED OFF THE CURB.

>> TYPICALLY WE TALK FROM THE EDGE OF THE SIGN.

CLOSEST TO THE ROAD IS THE EDGE AND SO, WE ARE APPROXIMATELY 38 FEET SETBACK FROM THE CURB NOW IN THIS APPLICATION TEN BY 36, YOU'RE PROBABLY LOOKING AT TO THE COLUMN ANOTHER 18 FEET.

WERE TALKING ABOUT 56 FEET FROM THE EDGES OF THE CURB TO THE COLUMN.

TO THE EDGE OF THE SIGN ABOUT 38 FEET APPROXIMATELY.

I MEASURED IT OUT WITH THE WHEELS AND HAD TO JUMP THE FENCE.

I WILL TELL YOU THE REASON MY WE DO THAT IS ON THE STATIC SIDE AND OSHA SAYS 10 FEET, THE ONE TIME WITH A METAL GRIPPER RATS IN THE MATERIAL AND GUYS WILL START SLIDING IT OUT THERE LIKE TEN OR 15 FEET LONG.

THEY WOULD RUN THEM INTO POWER LINES AND GET ELECTROCUTED.

[00:30:01]

NOT FIBERGLASS WHICH IS TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE THEY NEVER COULD'VE CONTACTED THE ENGINEERING.

I KNOW PEOPLE START ASKING ABOUT SETBACKS THEY'RE AFRAID WHAT HAPPENS IF THE SIGN FALLS OVER.

IN SO, I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER SEEN A METAL COLUMN SIGN LIKE THIS TO BE OUT BY WIND LOAD PRESSURE.

WE'VE BEEN HIT BY HURRICANES, TORNADOES AND LOTS OF TIME THE COLUMNS ARE STILL UP AT THE FACES GET HIT BAD.

THE ENGINEERING ON IT IS PRETTY IT'S UP TO STANDARD IN CODE.

>> IS NOT GOING TO LAND ON RESIDENCES.

>> NO.

THOSE THINGS ARE THOSE COLUMNS ARE ABOUT 20 FEET IN THE GROUND.

>> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FOR THE APPLICANT?

>> THANK YOU I DO HAVE BEFORE WE OPEN UP TO PUBLIC HEARING HAVE ONE QUESTION FOR THE STAFF.

IF THIS WERE APPROVED, WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO APPROVE WHAT THE DIMENSIONS HE IS REQUESTING, CORRECT, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ADVERTISED AS SUCH? WE'D ONLY BE ABLE TO APPROVE 300 SQUARE FEET BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WAS ADVERTISED?

>> YOU CAN APPLY ANY CONDITIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO YOUR APPROVAL, SMALL AS YOU LIKE, CANNOT EXCEED THE STANDARD.

IT CAN'T BE ANY LARGER THAN 378.

>> SO WE CAN IMPROVE GREATER THAN WHAT THE PUBLIC WAS ADVERTISED IN THE NOTICE?

>> YOU CAN APPLY WHATEVER CONDITIONS YOU SEE FIT.

>> THANK YOU.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FOR THE STAFF?

>> AT THIS POINT WILL OPEN UP THE PUBLIC HEARING.

FIRST, I'M GOING TO INVITE PEOPLE WHO ARE WANTING TO SPEAK IN FAVOR OF THE REQUEST.

SCOTT, IS THAT YOU?

>> THANK YOU.

>> GOOD MORNING.

MY NAME IS SCOTT CENTER I'M PRESIDENTS OF -- AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 1982, CAN YOU HEAR ME OKAY? ANYWAY GOING BACK TO THAT AERIAL DISPLAY THAT SHOWED FOR JUST A SECOND.

CAN I DRAW A LINE WITH THIS?

>> AND WE HAVE THAT UP THERE BECAUSE OUR SCREENS ARE NOT WORKING? MINE ISN'T.

>> I THINK THAT HANDOUT THAT SHOWS THE CROSSHATCH, DOCTOR MRS. LENNON BOUGHT THIS PROPERTY BACK 12 OR 15 YEARS AGO.

THEY WERE GOING TO BUILD AN OFFICE HERE ON THE CORNER.

A GOOD SIZE OFFICE.

HE GOT RELOCATED TO DALLAS AND THEN TAIWAN, MRS. LYNN IN THE METROPLEX AREA-MAKE A CHALLENGE CAME TO THIS BESIDES BE A NEARLY 12 ACRES IS THE FLOOD MAP DATA AMENDED TREMENDOUSLY BACK IN THE 12 AND 13 FEMA FLOOD MAP WHEN IT ENDED UP CHANGING THE WHOLE COMPLEXION OF THIS PIECE OF PROPERTY WHICH HAS MADE IT CHALLENGING.

WE HAVE NOT REZONED IT ON PURPOSE BECAUSE WE ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO ZONE IT TO.

WE'VE HAD ACE HARDWARE LOOK AT IT, WE'VE HAD THE DRUGSTORES, CERTAINLY A DENTIST AND THINGS LIKE THAT HAVE LOOKED AT THIS.

WE'VE GOT IT PASSED THROUGH THE ENTIRE 11 ACRES FOR THE ENTIRE FLASH RANGE AND ALL THOSE THAT WERE 2-ACRE SITES BECAUSE THAT'S APPROXIMATELY IF YOU LOOK AT WHERE THE BILLBOARD IS GOING TO GO BETWEEN THE HEARING PLACE AND DOCTOR RUBENS BUILDING, THAT'S NEARLY THE WEST POINT THAT IS DEVELOPABLE OF THE ENTIRE PIECE OF PROPERTY.

SO, WE HAVE 2 ACRES OF APPROXIMATELY 2.5 OUT OF 11.

IT MAKES SOME PEOPLE LIKE WHAT YOU DO AT THIS THING? IT'S A LOT TO MAINTAIN, THE TAXES ARE AND HALF EVEN THOUGH IT IS AO ZONE.

THEY HAVE THE VALUE CRANKED UP ON IT.

LET ME REMIND YOU IT IS A FIVE LANE ARTERIAL.

AMALIE ROAD IS A BIG, BUSY STREET AND IT CARRIES 40, 45-MILE AN HOUR TRAFFIC.

HE IT'S ALSO REALLY WIDE.

IT IS A SIGNALED INTERSECTION.

WE LOOK AT THE PROPERTY ALL THE WAY DOWN IN MY TIME HERE SINCE THE EARLY 80S WE HAVE GENERAL RETAIL SITTING ON BOTH SIDES OF MEMORIAL AND IT IS NOT TO LIGHTED

[00:35:02]

INTERSECTION YET.

IT WILL BE, IS JUST GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A RECORD TO IT, YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES IN OUR TOWN.

BUT THE GENERAL RETAIL SITS ALL OVER THAT AREA.

WE HAVE THE DENTIST OFFICE IN THAT SAME KIND OF ZONING.

YOU HAVE A CORNER, WE HAVE THE I GUYS OF VARIOUS OTHER PEOPLE UP AND UP THAT CHURCH SIGN THAT LIGHTS UP AND SAYS COME DO WHATEVER FRONT OF THE METHODIST CHURCH, WHICH IS WAY CLOSER TO ANY OF THESE HOUSES THAN WHAT THIS IS GOING TO BE.

THIS WILL REALLY HELP THE LAND GENERATE SOME INCOME NOT THAT THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM BUT THEY ARE TAXPAYERS AND HAVE BEEN IN THIS TOWN FOR A LONG TIME.

IN THE REAL ESTATE BUSINESS.

THIS BOULEVARD, IF YOU HAVE DRIVEN THE SIDE, THOSE TREES BLOCK EVERYTHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SEEN FROM THE HUNTINGTON PLACE AND THAT HUNTINGTON PLACE WITH MR. ROSE FELT THAT, THAT WAS IN THE WRONG LOCATION.

YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A BUSY INTERSECTION WITH THE HOUSING AREA THERE.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOME KIND OF COMMERCIAL USE AND ALL THOSE TOWNHOMES THEY ARE BROUGHT BY THOSE THREE CAR GARAGE IS BEHIND THOSE AND THEY HAVE TONS OF TREES AND THEY SET BACK OFF OF BENTLEY SOME AROUND 30 OR 35 FEET.

I'M GOING TO ENCOURAGE YOU THAT THIS IS A GOOD BLOCK IF YOU WERE NOT THERE INC.

CAME BETWEEN TEN WHATEVER THOSE NUMBERS ARE AND CAME ACROSS, THAT'S THE LIMIT, RIGHT THERE AT THAT BAND OF RARE THAT IT STARTS ON IT GOES ALL THE WAY ACROSS.

AND IT'S THE ONLY PART OF THAT PROPERTY AND NEED 6 INCHES TO BE OUT OF THAT 100 YEAR PLATE 6 INCHES BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS AND THEY HAVE DEALT WITH IT.

THIS WOULD LIKE THE AREA FEEL MORE PROMOTIONAL BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE MORE ADVERTISING ON IT.

IT WOULD HELP US FIND THAT NEXT USER WHETHER IT'S GOING TO BE A BANK, WHATEVER EDWARD JONES OFFICE.

YOU CAN BUILD FOUR FOR 1000-FOOT BUILDINGS JUST WERE IN A ROW.

ALL THE PARKING TO THE WEST AND I BE HAPPY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

THIS WOULD END UP BEING GENERAL RETAIL MORE THAN LIKELY.

BUT THERE CAN HAVE TO DO WITH A PLANNED DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT BECAUSE THE CIRCUMSTANCE OF HUNTINGTON IN A FLOODWAY AND JUST THE WAY IT'S GOING TO HAVE TO DEVELOP.

IN THIS WILL BE LOTS OF OFF-SITE RETENTION RIGHT OF THAT CHANNEL.

ALL THAT GREEN AREA 6642 JUST PAST THE TIN CUP.

THAT'S A BIG RETENTION PONDS AND THAT WILL BE EXPANDED INTO THIS PIECE OF PROPERTY AS THAT AREA GROWS FURTHER SOUTH.

THERE'S SO MUCH ALL THE WAY OUT ALL THE WAY DOWN HARDWICK IN THAT AREA THAT'S GOING IN BY CHAMPIONS IN THAT KIND OF STUFF.

THERE IS GOING TO BE MORE WATER, THE GOOD NEWS IS BILLBOARDS DON'T CREATE MUCH IMPACT ON FLOOD.

I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO VOTE IN FAVOR OF THIS.

I'M HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE NOT ALREADY ADDRESSED, WE BEEN WORKING ABOUT A YEAR AND HALF JUST EXACTLY AS MENTIONED I HELPED HIM GET -- HE HAD ALREADY PICKED THIS SITE BUT TOMMY BEAT HIM TO IT.

>> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS.

>> IF YOU COULD, COULD YOU TALK TO BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF HAVING THIS TYPE OF SIGN IN AN AREA THAT WILL PROBABLY DEVELOP COMMERCIALLY? YOU LOOK UP AND DOWN THE STREET BURGER KING THERE'S A BIG BILLBOARD THERE, THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF TWO SITES ON AMPLY THERE'S ATVS ON BOTH THEY SAID THEY'RE GOING TO TRY TO PUT ONE IN WHICH COULD HAPPEN IF WE EVER GET ATVS IS GOING TO BE STATIC IS MY UNDERSTANDING AIMING TO THE WEST AT THE END OF THE STREET COMES AROUND ILLUMINATION BARELY FITS BUT AS THE DEVELOPER RECOMMEND, WE CAN'T PUT A SIGN THERE.

[00:40:01]

IT WAS GOING TO BE TOO CLOSE TO THE RESIDENCES IN THE TOWNHOMES.

THIS WAS AN IDEAL SITE.

>> OTHER QUESTIONS? THANK YOU, SIR.

>> THANK YOU.

>> ANYONE ELSE TO SPEAK IN FAVOR? ANYONE TO SPEAK IN OPPOSITION? PLEASE COME FORWARD.

>> GOOD MORNING GENTLEMEN.

I APOLOGIZE ABOUT EARLIER.

I DON'T NORMALLY COME TO THESE EVENTS.

>> NO PROBLEM.

WE JUST STARTED THE PUBLIC COMMENT AT THE BEGINNING, TOO SO THAT'S NEW.

>> MY NAME IS CHASE.

I RECENTLY MOVED BACK TO TOWN FROM HOUSTON AND I BOUGHT THE PROPERTY I GUESS WHICH WOULD BE DIRECTLY TO THE WEST ON ANTILLEY.

SO, 3469 IS MY PROPERTY.

MY GUESS WHERE THE NUMBERS ARE RIGHT NOW THAT YOU CAN SEE THAT IS A STOCK TANK AND THEN JUST A LITTLE FURTHER WEST IS MY HOUSE.

I AM DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE METHODIST CHURCH IF THAT GIVES YOU THE FRAME OF REFERENCE.

IT'S FUNNY SOME PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THEY'RE STILL HOUSE THERE.

IT'S JUST HIDDEN BEHIND SOME DIFFERENT THINGS.

I JUST WANTED TO MORE SPEAK IN COUNTER TO SOME OF THE POINTS THAT WERE BROUGHT UP BY THE OTHER GENTLEMEN.

SO, FORGIVE ME IF I JUMP AROUND A LITTLE BIT.

BUT SO, WE WERE DISCUSSING EARLIER THE DISTANCE OF THE BILLBOARDS FURTHER DOWN THE STREET ON ANTILLEY ON BURGER KING, IF YOU ARE ALL FAMILIAR WITH THAT AREA, FROM ESSENTIALLY WHERE FAIRWAY STARTS TO THE EAST WHERE THE OLD RAILROAD TRACKS USED TO BE, THE I FEEL LIKE THE LAND CHANGES FROM WHAT IS A MEDICAL AND SMALL MEDICAL OFFICE, HOSPITAL DISTRICT AND THAT MAY ACTUALLY BE ZONED THAT WAY TO A TRUE RESIDENTIAL AREA WHERE FAIRWAY HAS GONE AND TAKEN THE TIME TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY REPAINTING WHERE I GUESS IT'S ABILENE COUNTRY CLUB RIGHT NOW, REPAINTING THEIR RETAINER WALLS AND PUTTING IMPLANTS AND MAKING IT LOOK REALLY NICE.

THE OAKS INTERSECTION HAS BEEN REDEVELOPED AND THAT LOOKS A LOT BETTER.

I FEEL LIKE IT DOESN'T SPEAK TO NECESSARILY TRUE COMMERCIAL EVEN WHERE THE DENTAL OFFICES WHERE I GUESS THE SLEEP STUDY OFFICE ACROSS THE STREET THAT IS STILL LIKE SMALL MEDICAL IT LOOKS LIKE IT FITS TO THE AREA IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

SO, TO ME TO USE THOSE OTHER TWO BILLBOARDS AS A REFERENCE FOR THIS BILLBOARD I DON'T KNOW IF THAT NECESSARILY RINGS TRUE IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

SO, AND AS FAR AS THE PROPERTY VALUES, HE GAVE YOU THE EXAMPLE OF THE PROPERTY VALUES AND THE OTHER AREA DID NOT DECREASE DURING THAT TIME.

MY OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN NEVER DO AN APPLES TO APPLES AND I AGREE WITH THAT BUT I COULD SHOW YOU STUDIES AND OBVIOUSLY JUST LIKE ANY PROJECT ENTERPRISE YOU CAN FIND STUDIES FOR AND STUDIES AGAINST JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IF YOU WANTED TO.

THERE WERE STUDIES I READ IN THE PHILADELPHIA AREA WHERE PROPERTIES WITHIN A 350-FOOT DISTANCE OF A BILLBOARD WAS DECREASED BY AN AVERAGE OF $36000 COMPARED TO PROPERTY THAT DID NOT HAVE A BILLBOARD WITHIN THAT DISTANCE.

SO, WHILE THOSE PROPERTIES DID POTENTIALLY INCREASE IN PROPERTY VALUE MY QUESTION WOULD BE DID THEY INCREASE LESS THAN OVERALL PERCENTAGE OF PROPERTY VALUE COMPARED TO WHAT THEY WOULD'VE BEEN OTHERWISE.

SO, AGAIN, I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL, BUT THAT IS JUST SOMETHING THAT I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT WITH THE HOMEOWNER IN THE AREA.

AND THEN AS FAR AS THE DRIVING RANGE, THAT'S A GOOD EXAMPLE OF ANOTHER LARGE STRUCTURE IN THE AREA.

TO ME A DRIVER AND RANGE AS A GOLF COURSE AND THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS A VALUE NOT NECESSARILY TO NEIGHBORS IF YOU'RE MOVING INTO THE AREA BECAUSE OF NEW DEVELOPMENT GOING DID YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF THE SOUTHSIDE OF ABILENE, THERE'S A DRIVING RANGE AND A GOLF COURSE, THAT'S GREAT WERE ONLY HALF A MILE FROM A COUNTRY CLUB WITH A DRIVING RANGE AND A GOLF COURSE.

VERSUS COMING DOWN THE STREET IN THE SEA AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR WHATEVER IT MAY BE.

I DON'T KNOW THAT WOULD BE BUT WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO PICK THAT AREA TO POTENTIALLY LIVE IN.

AND THEN THE LAST THING WOULD BE JUST THE OVERALL SIZE OF THE SIGN.

THEY BROUGHT UP THE METHODIST CHURCH SIGN AND I LIVE DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE METHODIST CHURCH.

I DON'T MAYBE YOU CAN TELL ME THIS BUT I DON'T BELIEVE THAT SIGN IS NEAR THE SIZE

[00:45:09]

OF WHAT THE CURRENT PROPOSED BILLBOARD THAT THEY ARE WANTING TO PUT IN IS.

TO ME THAT'S MUCH LESS OF A POTENTIAL I GUESS CHANGING OF THE AREA IN THE WAY THAT IT LOOKS, THE METHODIST SIGN IS NOT PROPORTIONATE TO THE AREA WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING BY IT'S NOT 100 FEET LONG OR WHATEVER IT IS, IT IS A MUCH SMALLER SIGN THAT FITS MORE TO THE AESTHETICS OF THE AREA.

THAT'S REALLY ALL I HAVE.

>> ANY QUESTIONS?

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH; QUICK WINDS YOU HAVE A WHOLE LOT MORE PROPERTY THAN YOUR HOUSE.

YOU HAVE PLANS FOR THE REST OF THE PROPERTY?

>> HONESTLY AT THIS MOMENT, AS TALKED ABOUT, I BELIEVE ABOUT SEVEN OF MY ACRES IS ALL IN THE 100 YEAR FLOOD ZONE.

SO, I HAVE A 11 AND A HALF.

THE HOMESITE IS AN ACRE AND HALF AND I THINK THERE IS ABOUT 5 ACRES BEHIND IT THAT BACKS UP TO THIS FRONT NINE NEIGHBORHOOD.

SO, OVER HALF OF MY PROPERTY YOU CANNOT SEE RIGHT NOW IN THIS PICTURE BUT IF YOU COULD JUST KIND OF ENVISION THAT CONTINUING TO THAT ENTRANCE.

I DON'T THINK I'M I CURRENTLY DON'T HAVE ANY PLANS TO DO ANYTHING WITH IT.

I'VE GOT SOME PEOPLE COMING OUT WE BEEN GRABBING IT AND PLANNING ON MAKING IT JUST MY BACKYARD RIGHT NOW IT'S REALLY SMALL COME I DON'T THINK WERE DOING MUCH OF ANYTHING I THINK I LUCKED OUT GETTING THAT ACREAGE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF TOWN.

SO, I HAVE TWO YOUNG BOYS WOULD GO FISHING I BELIEVE IS GOING TO MAINTAIN HOW IT'S IT IS AT LEAST FOR A WHILE.

I DON'T PLAN ON DOING ANYTHING WITH IT.

>> OKAY, THANK YOU.

YOU ARE LIMITED.

>> ANYONE ELSE TO SPEAK IN OPPOSITION? SEE IN NOW NONE WE WILL CLOSE THE PUBLIC HEARING.

DISCUSSION WE BEEN PRESENTING A LOT OF INFORMATION THIS MORNING.

>> COULD YOU BACKUP THE TWO VIEWS YOU HAD?

>> PERSONALLY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT BACK A LITTLE BIT FURTHER OFF THE STREET.

I THINK THERE ARE SEVERAL ASPECTS TO THIS THERE'S A LOT OF OPPOSITION DIFFERENT CITIZENS AND RETAILERS THAT'S OBVIOUSLY A CONSIDERATION FOR ALL OF US AND FOR OBVIOUS REASONS IT DOESN'T IMPACT NEIGHBORHOOD AND IT DOESN'T IMPACT A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WERE NEGATIVE ABOUT IT.

IT'S A DIFFICULT DECISION.

>> I THINK THE STATEMENT THAT IT'S NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE EXISTING AND PERMITTED USES OF THE SURROUNDING PROPERTY WHEN I READ THAT INITIALLY I THOUGHT THAT IN AND THROUGH THIS DISCUSSION THOUGHT THAT'S A VERY VALID POINT.

[00:52:38]

THE EXISTING AND PERMITTED USES OF THAT.

[01:03:39]

SO, OF THE SURROUNDING PROPERTIES.

[01:03:45]

SO, IF YOU WANT TO SAY TECHNICALLY IT'S AO SO IT CAN BE CAN'T BE BUT THEN THERE IS THE SURROUNDING AREAS AND THEN THE DISCUSSION THAT'S ALREADY OCCURRED ABOUT CHANGING ZONING OF THAT IN THE FUTURE THAT THAT IS POTENTIAL AND PROBABLE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

SO, THAT THIS STATEMENT IS THAT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE EXISTING PERMITTED USES OF THE SURROUNDING I FEEL LIKE THAT IS VERY PERTINENT POINT.

>> I DO TOO.

I THINK THAT'S PERTINENT, BUT I THINK WERE DEALING WITH A BIT OF AN UNUSUAL SITUATION OF ALMOST AN ISLAND OF PROPERTY AND IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT I TEND TO

[01:05:01]

AGREE WITH THE PRESENTATION THEN THAT IS LIKELY WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE OUTCOME.

I KNOW WE CAN MAKE DECISIONS TODAY ON WHAT'S LIKELY VERSUS WHAT IS THE ACTUAL ZONING AND BUT I DON'T SEE THAT PROPERTY, BECAUSE OF IT BEING HAVING THE SPECIAL CONDITIONS THAT AFFECT THAT PROPERTY A LOT IN THE FLOOD PLANE ITSELF AND THEN LIKE IT WAS PRESENTED ANTILLEY IS A HIGH-TRAFFIC MAIN THOROUGHFARE AND THE FACT THAT IN REALITY THE PROPOSED SIGNAGE WOULD NOT BE VISIBLE TO THE PROPERTIES THAT ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT, I PERSONALLY TEND TO FEEL IT'S A GOOD USE OF THE PROPERTY TO BRING THAT FACILITY TO IT TO HELP DEVELOP IT AND BRING IT INTO COME ONTO THE TAX ROLLS ONTO SOMETHING MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW.

WITHOUT IMPACT TO THE NEIGHBORS.

BUT MARK BRINGS UP A GOOD POINT THAT THIS STATEMENT IN THERE ABOUT SURROUNDING PROPERTIES, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE RIGHT NOW THE WAY IT STANDS, BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE FOR THE PROPERTY THE WAY IT WILL EVENTUALLY END UP.

WHAT IS THE REST OF YOURS OPINIONS ON THOSE THINGS?

>> I AGREE.

I THINK THERE IS ABSOLUTELY TWO WAYS THAT THIS COULD GO.

I TRIED TO TAKE NOTES ON BOTH SIDES AS WE WENT THROUGH.

I LIKE THE IDEA TOMMY OF IF WE DO IT, WE CAN ROCK IT AND MAKE IT LOOK NICE AND MAKE IT LOOK APPEALING.

, USING AS SIGNAGE FOR PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS, USING FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE NEIGHBORHOODS WHICH I HAVE SEEN LAMAR DO QUITE OFTEN WHETHER IT IS ENCOURAGING THOSE TO WEAR MASKS, BEING INFORMATIVE, WORKING WITH THE HOSPITAL OR HENDRICK, WHATEVER THOSE SITUATIONS MIGHT BE, THAT IS A GOOD SIGN AND A HIGH-TRAFFIC AREA THAT COULD REACH A LOT OF PEOPLE WHEN INFORMATION IS NEEDED TO GET OUT.

SO, I CAN SEE THAT.

I CAN ALSO SEE IT FROM A SMALL BUSINESS SIDE OF IT IS A GREAT SPOT TO REACH A LOT OF PEOPLE.

AND THERE'S NOT MANY LIKE IT.

I CAN DEFINITELY UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE IN FAVOR OF THAT.

ON THE FLIPSIDE, JUST THE UNCERTAINTY OF WHAT THAT LAND IS GOING TO BE IN THE FUTURE, THE SIZE OF THE PROJECT, HOW WOULD THAT GOING AHEAD TO PUT A BILLBOARD UP THERE HOW DOES THAT AFFECT THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT? WOULD THAT EVEN POTENTIALLY DISCOURAGE SOMEBODY FROM BUYING THAT PIECE OF PROPERTY TO DEVELOP SOMETHING ON THEIR? AND THAT COULD GO BOTH WAYS.

SO, THAT'S WHY MAN AT THIS POINT WITH IT.

I THINK THERE IS VALID, VERY VALID POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES TO THIS.

>> THANK YOU, JOHN, OTHER COMMENTS?

>> I UNDERSTAND AND FEEL THE SAME WAY WITH THE AREA AND THE RESIDENCES AND EVERYTHING ELSE, BUT TECHNICALLY IT MEETS THE CRITERIA THE DISTANCING CRITERIA THAT IS REQUIRED.

SO IT'S MORE OF A DECISION AMONGST US AS TO WHETHER IT MEETS THE CRITERIA OR DOESN'T.

SOME SOMEWHAT SUBJECTIVE EITHER WAY.

>> IT DOES CONCERN COME IN MY OTHER CONCERN IS THE AMOUNT OF OPPOSITION THAT THIS HAS GENERATED COMPARED TO A NORMAL COME OF THIS IS NOT A GOOD COMPARISON BUT COMPARED TO A NORMAL CASE THAT WE REVIEW.

WE GENERALLY DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF PUBLIC OPPOSITION.

IN THIS GENERATED MORE THAN NORMAL SO, THAT CONCERNS ME.

>> JUST TO SPEAK ON THAT A LITTLE BIT.

I FEEL LIKE IF SOMEBODY WERE YOUR TO SEND ME A LETTER BUT NOT BE ABLE TO HEAR THE SPECIFICS LIKE WHAT WE ARE GETTING TO HEAR TODAY AT THE MEETING, I WOULD PROBABLY GO THAT ROUTE AS WELL.

I DON'T WANT TO BILLBOARD NEXT TO ME ESPECIALLY A DIGITAL THAT'S VERY BRIGHT TO LARGE IT'S GOING TO STAND OUT AND SHINE THROUGH MY WINDOW AT NIGHT.

ALL OF THOSE DIFFERENT THINGS ARE THE UNKNOWNS THAT I THINK THE PUBLIC MIGHT QUITE POSSIBLY NOT UNDERSTAND.

BECAUSE I WOULD FEEL THE SAME WAY IF IT WAS PRESENTED TO ME.

>> I THINK OPPOSITION COULD GO TO THE BOARD OF ADJUSTMENTS IF WE DO NOT THAT WE CAN WITHSTAND THAT, WE WOULD HAVE TO BE JUSTIFIED AND WAS OVER THIS ISSUE IS.

>> I THINK WE HAVE TO BE RECEPTIVE AND SENSITIVE TO PUBLIC COMMENT AND THIS ONE IS APPARENTLY A SENSITIVE SUBJECT WITH PEOPLE BECAUSE IT DID BRING OUT MORE OPPOSITION THAN WE TYPICALLY WOULD SEE.

SO, I DEFINITELY WANT TO INCENTIVE TO THAT.

BUT I ALSO FEEL THAT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR TO LOOK AT THE VERY SPECIFICS.

I THINK THE ANALOGY THAT JOHN MADE OF WHAT A TYPICAL CITIZENS REACTION TO THIS WOULD BE WITHOUT THE INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE HEARD TODAY IT WOULD BE MY REACTION AS WELL TYPICALLY.

BUT UNDERSTANDING THE FACTS AND DETAILS INVOLVED WITH EXECUTING IT COME I DON'T CSBN THE IMPACT THAT A LOT OF THE PEOPLE WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT IN THEIR OPPOSITION.

NOW, I DO NOT WANT TO TRY TO PRETEND TO SPEAK TO THOSE PEOPLE, EITHER, BUT I THINK THAT IS PART OF WHAT THIS BOARD IS HERE FOR, TO WEIGH THE FACTS AND SEE SPECIFICS INVOLVED AND MAKE THE DECISION FOR THE GREATER GOOD.

>> I THINK PART OF OUR DECISION SHOULD INCLUDE THE CONSIDERATION THAT THERE REALLY ISN'T A PLACE TO PUT ANYTHING ELSE LIKE THIS ON A WELL USED TRAFFIC STREET.

IT IS A LOGICAL THING TO ASK FOR.

IT'S REASONABLE BECAUSE I DON'T SEE OF ANY OTHER PLACES THAT IT COULD BE DONE.

>> THE PROPERTY OWNER COME I WOULD SAY IT LOOKED LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS FOR REVENUE GENERATION.

THEY HAVE THIS PROPERTY BECAUSE OF FLOOD ZONE ISSUES, VERY SMALL PORTION OF IT CAN BE DEVELOPED.

SO, THEY ARE LOOKING AT OKAY WHAT CAN WE DO WITH IT WE BEEN CARRYING THIS FOR SINCE OWNERSHIP, SINCE THEY PURCHASED IT.

FOR THEM, IT'S SOMETHING THAT WE CAN DO TO GENERATE SOME REVENUE TO OFFSET THE COSTS.

THAT IS THEIR MOTIVATION.

>> THAT'S WHAT I WAS BELIEVING AS WELL.

>> SO IT IS FOR A FINANCIAL GAMING ON THEIR PART.

>> AND I GUESS THEY COULD USE IT TO ADVERTISE THE SALE ON THEIR PART TWO.

>> THERE'S A LOT OF BUSINESSES THAT IN THE AREA THAT COULD DEFINITELY BENEFIT FROM IT.

>> THIS IS ONE OF THE PITFALLS I BELIEVE OF PUTTING DEVELOPMENT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT IN AN AREA LIKE THAT RIGHT THERE THAT IS POTENTIAL TO GROWTH.

WHO WOULD'VE BEEN INVISION 40 PLUS YEARS AGO THAT ANTILLEY WOULD BECOME THE ARTERY THAT IT IS BASICALLY.

SO, WE LOOK AT THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE NEIGHBORHOODS IN ABILENE AND THEY CHANGE CHARACTER EVERY 23 TO MY 25 YEARS.

THIS IS WHAT HAS TAKEN PLACE.

IT HAS REALLY CHANGED ITS ORIGINAL CHARACTER.

SO, THAT BEING SAID, THE MAIN THING THAT I AM LOOKING AT RIGHT THERE IS THAT PROPERTY RIGHT NOW HAS REMAINED IN ITS FORM FOR THE 40 PLUS YEARS AFTER, I THINK IT'S TIME TO GIVE SOMEONE A LITTLE BIT OF A DIRECTION ON HOW TO MOVE FORWARD WITH IT.

I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE A BIG IMPROVEMENT IN THAT AREA.

>> THAT TO ME IS THE QUESTION, BECAUSE OF THE FLOOD ZONE, HOW IS THE PROPERTY GOING TO DEVELOP IN THE FUTURE.

I KNOW IT'S ALREADY BEEN STATED AS A QUESTION BUT, HOW WILL THAT PROPERTY EVEN DEVELOPED GOING FORWARD?

>> THERE'S ONLY A RELATIVELY SMALL PORTION OF IT TO THE NORTHEAST CORNER THAT IS REALLY DEVELOPABLE AND THE LIKELIHOOD OF THAT BEING A FEW RESIDENCES TO ME IS SLIM TO NONE.

IT MAKES MORE SENSE TO BE A NEIGHBORHOOD BUSINESS OR NEIGHBORHOOD OFFICE, LIKE HAS BEEN DISCUSSED THIS MORNING AND I SEE THE SIGN BEING IN CONCERT WITH THAT.

THE PROPOSED SIGNED.

>> I THINK A LOT OF WHAT WE CONSIDER HERE IS BASED ON THE RESIDENTIAL AREA AND THE AREA AROUND IT IS NEVER GOING TO BE RESIDENTIAL FROM MY OPINION.

THAT'S A LIMITED RESTRICTION ANY OTHER DISCUSSION? ARE WE READY TO TAKE ACTION?

>> I DON'T KNOW HOW EVERYBODY ELSE'S BUT I'M INCLINED TO GO AHEAD AND GRANTED BUT PROBABLY AT THE 300 SQUARE FEET LIMIT, AND A COMMENTS ON THAT FOR SIZE?

>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT WE WOULD BE ALLOWED TO GRANT MORE THAN WHAT WAS ADVERTISED ACTUALLY BUT I WOULD POSE THAT TO THE APPLICANT, IS THERE GOING TO BE A DETRIMENT TO APPROVING A 300 VERSUS WHAT IS BEING PROPOSED?

>> HE DIDN'T SEEM TO PRESENT IT THAT WAY WHEN HE MADE YOUR PRESENTATION.

>> IN ABILENE, WE OPERATE TWO DIFFERENT SIZES OF DIGITAL.

WE HAVE ONE THAT IS THE SIZE THAT'S 36 AND WE HAVE FOR THAT OR TEN BY 21 IN SIZE AND THEN WE HAVE ONE THAT IS A 12 BY 25 WHICH IS 300 SQUARE FEET.

SO, THE ARTWORK THAT WE PUT ON THESE AUTO SIZES TO THE CORRECT SIZE.

I WILL SAY THAT ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I WAS LOOKING AT THIS PARTICULAR FORMAT FOR THIS LOCATION BECAUSE THE DIGITAL IS ABOUT 500 FEET FROM THE INTERSECTION.

WE TRY TO PLACE DIGITALS AT INTERSECTIONS BECAUSE IT'S A LITTLE BIT SLOWER MOVING TRAFFIC, PEOPLE ARE STOP AND GO.

TYPICALLY WE TRY TO KEEP OUR DIGITALS ABOUT 200 FEET FROM THE INTERSECTION AND SO IF YOU LOOK AT THE TOP RENDERING COME I THINK IT'S ACCURATE, FROM THAT INTERSECTION THAT BILLBOARD IS THE SIZE IN YOUR MINDS EYE.

IN SO, WE TAKE IT DOWN TO A 12 BY 25 IS GOING TO BE THAT SIZE.

IT'S ALMOST INDISTINGUISHABLE.

WE CAN OPERATE EITHER WAY IT'S NOT A PROBLEM.

MY PREFERENCE WOULD BE TO BUILD THAT AT THIS SIZE BECAUSE THAT IS SO FAR AWAY FROM THE INTERSECTION.

BUT IF YOU SAY LET'S KEEP IT AT 300 SQUARE FEET, WE CAN WORK WITH THAT AS WELL AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO DO THAT.

I KNOW THAT DOESN'T HELP YOU OUT VERY MUCH BUT MAYBE GIVES YOU MORE INSIGHT ON WHY WE SELECTED THAT SIZE.

>> SAY IT ONE MORE TIME, VERSUS THE 12 BY 25 WHAT IS THE NEXT SIZE UP?

>> A 12 BY 25 WHICH IS 300 SQUARE-FOOT AND THEN THE NEXT SIZE UP IS GOING TO BE THIS WHICH IS A TEN BY 36.

>> 378 SQUARE FEET.

SO, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT BENEFITS US ON THIS SIZE FORMAT IS THAT THE STATIC SIZE IS A TEND TO MAKE 6 - 36, WE HAVE OTHER OF THOSE IN TOWN, FOR INSTANCE THE ABILENE EQUIPMENT CENTER WE HAVE THE BIG PILE OF DIRT, AND THE ONE THAT IS THERE AT BURGER KING ON 83 AND 84.

SO WHAT WE DO IS WE ROTATE THOSE ADVERTISERS EVERY 90 DAYS TO GET SOME DIFFERENT EYEBALLS AND IT HELPS SELL THE PRODUCT AND SO WHAT WOULD BE COOL IN THIS AREA BECAUSE WE HAVE NO COVERAGE IN THIS AREA WE COULD TAKE ADVERTISERS AND ROTATE THROUGH THEIR EVERY 90 DAYS WE DON'T OPERATE ANY OF THE OTHER SIZES.

[01:10:02]

WE JUST NEED ONE THAT'S THERE ALL THE TIME WHICH WE HAVE SOMETIMES, TOO.

I'M SURE SCOTTY HAS BEEN BEGGING FOR SOMETHING OUT HERE AND HE WOULD TAKE IT IN AND HEARTBEAT.

THERE'S A LOT OF ADVERTISERS THAT WANT ADVERTISERS IN THAT AREA.

>> THANK YOU.

>> ROBERT, DID YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THAT?

>> I WOULD JUST NOTE THE LANGUAGE OF THE ADVERTISEMENT IS ON THE AGENDA WHICH WAS APPLICATION FOR SPECIAL EXCEPTION.

>> SIZE WAS NOT INCLUDED.

>> SIZE WAS NOT ON IT.

>> THANK YOU, KELLY, I APPRECIATE THAT ANY OTHER THOUGHTS? IT'S LIKE IF YOU EXPAND ONE SIDE IT'S KIND OF IMPORTANT TO KEEP WHATEVER STANDARD THERE IS.

YOU REDUCE MONTH SIDE ON THE MADE TV LOOKS LIKE THAT OCCASIONALLY.

>> 300 IS A LITTLE TALLER THAN 370 EIGHTS.

>> NOT AS WIDE.

>> IN GENERAL, I THINK IT IS A WORTHWHILE USE FOR THAT PARTICULAR SPOT IN THE AREA.

FROM AN OWNER STANDPOINT THERE IS NOT A LOT OF USE AVAILABLE FOR THAT AREA.

I THINK THE OPPOSITION IS JUST OPPOSITION TO ANY CHANGE AND NOT NECESSARILY BASED IN FACT.

I THINK IT'S A WORTHWHILE THING TO DO AND MAYBE IT WILL HELP ENCOURAGE DEVELOPMENT OF AN AREA THAT HAS LIMITED DEVELOPMENT.

>> THE ONE THING THAT I APPRECIATED THE APPLICANTS WILLINGNESS TO BE SENSITIVE TO THE SURROUNDINGS ESPECIALLY WITH THE ILLUMINATION LEVEL AT NIGHT AND THE FACT THAT IT WILL BE EIGHT SECONDS STATIC IMAGES, IT IS GOING TO APPEAR AS A LIGHTED BILLBOARD MORE SO THAT AN ELECTRONIC MEDIA SIGN I BELIEVE AND THEN I BELIEVE BILL WILLINGNESS TO ROCK THE BREES MAKE IT AN ATTRACTIVE FACILITY THAT FITS IN WITH THE SURROUNDING I THINK ARE VERY POSITIVE ASPECTS OF THE PROPOSAL.

IF THERE ARE NO FURTHER DISCUSSIONS I WILL ENTERTAIN A MOTION.

>> I'LL START THE MOTION AND I WELCOME ANYBODY ELSE TO ADD ANYTHING THAT THEY THINK IS APPROPRIATE BECAUSE THERE IS A LOT TO COVER THERE.

WE CONSIDER THE OPPOSITION AND TALKED ABOUT THE OPPOSITION BUT THERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY HERE.

I WOULD MOVE WE ACCEPT THE REQUEST FROM THE APPLICANT AND THAT WE DO ALLOW SIGNAGE TO BE UP TO THE MAXIMUM THAT IS ALLOWED, THE 378 OR THE 360, WHATEVER THEY PREFER, I THINK A ROCK WRAPPING TO MAKE IT FIT MORE WITH THE AREA IN THE WILDERNESS ASPECT TO IT TO MAKE IT MORE APPEASING.

I WOULD ASK FOR THAT.

THAT'S ALL THAT'S BASED ON THE DISCUSSIONS WE HAVE HAD IN THE INPUT FROM BOTH THE APPLICANT AND MR. -- AND THAT ILLUMINATION IS A FACTOR IN A BIG DECISION AS FAR AS WHAT THEY ARE PROPOSING AND IT IS NOT IN THE PROPOSAL BUT AN IMPORTANT FACTOR FOR THAT AREA.

ANYTHING ELSE I LEFT OUT? I THINK THAT COMPLETES THE MOTION.

>> TO WE WANT TO ADDRESS THE ROCKING OF THE BASE AS A REQUIREMENT.

>> YES.

>> TO CLARIFY THE MOTION IS TO GRANT THE SPECIAL EXCEPTION WITH THE CONDITION OF THE ROCK WRAPPING.

>> IT AND SPECIAL CONSIDERATION TO ILLUMINATION WHICH WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT BUT IT IS NOT PART OF THE APPLICATION.

>> AND ALSO TO ALLOW THE MAXIMUM THAT CAN BE BUILT.

>> MOTION HAS BEEN MADE, DO I HEAR A SECOND?

>> I SECOND THAT MOTION.

>> WE HAVE A MOTION TO APPROVE.

THE APPROVAL IS TO ALLOW SIGNAGE UP TO THE MAXIMUM AND ALLOW IT INCLUDES THE CONDITION OF WRAPPING AROUND THE POLE BASE AND ALL OF THIS IS BASED UPON THE DISCUSSION OF THE APPLICANT AND THOSE WHO SPOKE IN FAVOR.

MR. BIERMAN.

>> YES.

>> MR. ALDO.

>> YES.

>> IT MR. LOUDERMILL.

>> YES.

>> MR. TILLMAN.

>> YES.

>> MR. HEY.

>> YES.

>> A MOTION TO APPROVE CARRIES.

>> THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN.

>> THAT IS THE LAST ITEM ON THE AGENDA.

DO I HAVE A MOTION TO ADJOURN?

>> SO MOVED.

>> AT ALL IN FAVOR, AYE.

>> WE STAND ADJOURNED, THANK YOU.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.